2011-04-08

Asian-Style Noodles - A Raw Food Recipe (Guest Blog)




[The following is a guest blog post from my good friend, and former personal chef, The Wellness Woman (Visit her blog here). We recently made and enjoyed this delicious kelp noodle meal together. And before you say KELP?!, no it doesn't taste fishy. It tastes like real pasta. It truly was out of this world – delicious. I suggest you grab yourself some kelp noodles and try this dish, pronto. Hope you enjoy!]

A Raw Foodie’s Pasta Paradise – by The Wellness Woman

Growing up I loved to eat pasta.  And pasta loved me back so much it gave me a big hug and wouldn’t let go, clinging to my body in excess fat and bloating.  Yep, the song is true, sometimes love does hurt.  I realized this relationship wasn’t working so I broke up with my pasta pal and transitioned onto a raw food diet saying ciao to the pasta pounds. 

I loved my new svelte self and the extra energy and radiance I experienced from being a raw foodie, although I must admit I sometimes craved my old versatile friend that made many meals so delicious and filling.  I tried to fill the gap by spiralizing zucchini, carrots, and even parsnips.  Even though it was tasty, it wasn’t really the same. 

Just when I thought I would have to suck it up and live without my beloved pasta fix forever, I discovered it…

Kelp noodles.


Now, that might not sound too appealing (neither does excess fat and bloating) but I can assure you they taste AMAZING.  And wanna know something even more amazing?  Kelp noodles are nutritious AND (yes, there’s more!) are gluten-free, fat-free and only 6 calories per serving.  (Feel free to pause reading here while doing your happy dance).

Kelp noodles are easier to prepare than traditional pasta too.  No waiting around for water to boil, just rinse in warm water and give them a quick massage with your hands.  To soften the noodles further, try marinating them in nama shoyu and a bit of nut butter.  Here is my one of my favorite recipes, which is quick, easy and delicious. 

I package Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles, rinsed
2 Tablespoon cashew butter
2 Tablespoons nama shoyu (soy sauce)
1 red pepper, julienned
large handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
pinch cayenne
topped with a generous serving of alfalfa sprouts


This is one example, but to be honest, take whatever fresh vegetables you find in the fridge and add it to the noodles.  Try peas, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, avocados…it all tastes great.  Go Italian with garlic and herbs or Thai with mint, basil, and ginger.  Get creative, have fun and enjoy pasta AND your svelte self!

[Editor's note: You can get some kelp noodles here. I recommend ordering more than one bag; you'll be glad you did!]

No comments:

Post a Comment