2010-03-10

Curried Sweet Potato Soup - Recipe

I love making soups and usually pride myself on making excellent bowls of the stuff - even when I'm inventing something on the spot. That being said, the following recipe is delicious, but I think I'm going to tinker with it a bit more so that I, at least, will think it's amazing. I LOVE sweet potatoes
 (me, eating a sweet potato in China)

and personally, I think they're rather underrated. Not only are they great in sweet and savory dishes, but they're good for you as well. They're an excellent source of Vitamin A (beta-carotene) and Vitamin C - both of which are powerful antioxidants which may help in ridding the body of cancer-causing free radicals.

Previously, I've made a version of this soup combining sweet potatoes with a couple of carrots. Next time, I'll definitely add carrots again as they made for a sweeter tasting soup as well as a brighter, prettier color. I also prefer the sweet potatoes roasted whole in the oven before I add it to the soup, as this makes for a denser, sweeter flavor. However, this method takes more time, whereas the recipe below took no time to prepare and was ready to eat in under an hour.

Curried Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients

1/2 red onion, diced
3 medium or 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/8 tsp celery seed
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp curry
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried parsley
2 vegetarian bouillon cubes
1 tsp soy sauce (tamari or nama shoyu will work too)
6 cups water
Juice from half a lemon
1/2 cup baby spinach, chopped or chiffonade

Method
Heat 1 Tbs olive oil in large pot. Saute onions and all herbs and spices until the onions are tender. Stir in: sweet potatoes, bouillon cubes, soy sauce, and water. Bring to a boil, cover the pot and simmer at medium high until sweet potatoes are tender - about 40-45 minutes. Transfer soup to blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back to pot. Stir in lemon juice and spinach and immediately remove from heat.

Serve and Enjoy!




Tip - Up the pretty factor on this soup by garnishing the center of the soup with more chopped spinach or a pinch of your favorite sprouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment